In this blog – 3 of 3 part series we will cover: Off Page SEO
Unlike On-page SEO, off-page SEO refers to activities outside of your website coding. The most important are:
- Link Building
- Social Media
- Social bookmarking
Why is Off-Page SEO important?
Off page SEO gives search engines and other online users a clear indication on how others perceive your website. References or links from other websites, mentions on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and the like) and bookmarks shared among online communities all play an important role and add serious value to your websiteâ€™s online presence and performance.
A successful off-page SEO strategy can lead to an Increase in rankings in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERP), Increase in PageRank, which is Googleâ€™s method of measuring the quality/importance of a webpage on a scale of 1-10, and more more exposure as higher rankings lead to more social media mentions, links from other sites and ultimately more traffic.
Link building is a popular technique for off-Page SEO. Link building refers to the process of getting external pages to link to a page on your website. Building links is a difficult and time-consuming process as not all links are equal. For example, a link from a website like the Wall Street Journal will make a greater impact than a link from a newly built website. The emphasis here is partially on quantity but there should be a clear focus on quality as well to make a greater impact in the Search Engine Results Pages.
The increasing popularity of Social media has seen this become an important part of off-page SEO. This can also be considered as a form of link building and social media mentions are gaining ground as ranking factors. It is really important that you have your Social Media profiles properly configured. I have listed 6 social media practices that can be effective in increasing your SEO.
- Growing Your Number of Followers organically â€“ buying 100,000 followers for your Social Profiles may seem like a good idea but Google does look at the quality of your followers and social profiles.
This can be a slow and time consuming process but through posting useful articles, helpful tips and engaging in general discussion with followers you can build up great social communities and increase SEO.
- Encouraging external inbound links through Social media. Again, the more authoritative links you have the better. To do this you need to have great, high quality content.
Social media is the channel for you to broadcast your content/message. Original, high quality content which includes hashtags, to boost visibility of your posts, is of the utmost importance. This allows you to establish rapport, which can lead to improvement of your social reputation whilst maximizing your potential external link sources.
- Optimizing Your Posts for Searches as Google also tends to favor popular social media updates in the top sections of its SERPs.
- Social sharing can contribute to your brandâ€™s authority as well. Likes, shares, favorites, replies, and retweets all count toward your SEO ranking by increasing your authority as a viable source of information to your peers/followers.
- Local optimization of your posts. The easiest ways to do this is by making updates whenever you or your company get involved in a local event and interacting with other local businesses or partners through social media.
- Increasing Brand Awareness. Increasing your social media reputation through active engagement and sharing of great quality content can lead to increased online brand presence. This, in turn, can lead to more branded searches on Google, with the more branded searches you receive increasing your ranking for for non-branded keywords.
Social bookmarking is a way for people to organize, store, search and manage â€œbookmarksâ€ of web pages they find useful or interesting. Users generally use social bookmarking sites like digg.com and www.reddit.com to store these links. Bookmarks are usually available to the public and can be viewed by other members of the site.
This method of link building is not too widely used anymore as social bookmarking does not increase or improve organic rankings directly in the short term. It can be used strategically for off-page SEO to help long-term organic rankings indirectly.
On and off-page SEO factors play a huge role toward the success of your websiteâ€™s SEO rankings and overall performance.
If you want to earn a good ROI from your online presence, you need to ensure the following:
- your website is content is original, engaging and of a high quality
- The website build, architecture and code is of a high quality and optimised for all devices
- Off site you build rapport and trust through by being socially active and consistently posting great, original content through blogs, social media, forums etc. to encourage link building
Focus initially on building a responsive website with engaging, high quality content. Couple this with an active social presence and sharing of great, original content through social media, blogs, forums etc. to establish rapport online and your SEO will look after itself but will need a watchful eye.