In this blog – 2 of 3 part series we will cover: On-Page SEO and; Website Build & Architecture
As part of your websites build or setup there are a few factors that should be taken into consideration to ensure success with search engine optimisation.
A professional website developer would know to bare the points below in mind and should include these as best practices when they are building your site.
- Search Engines need to be able to crawl your site for indexing purposes. Ensuring there is a clear hierarchy of your website pages URLâ€™s, which incorporate some of your keywords, facilitates this crawl. If Google cannot crawl your website, it could possibly be excluded from Google Search altogether which could cost you business.
- All images on your website should not be oversized and should be clearly named. This not only ensures that your site loads efficiently, but also ensures that Googleâ€™s crawler can identify your images. It may be useful to know that Googleâ€™s Crawl reads code and cannot see pictures â€“ hence naming them correctly and in the relevant format allows Google to â€œseeâ€ what images are on your site.
- Keeping with the above, page load times are vitally important â€“ slow websites do not score well when it comes to search optimisation. A good developer will ensure your site and all content loads quickly.
- A Sitemap with links that point to relevant or important parts of your site should be included. This ensures ease of navigation for your users and bodes well for optimisation of your site. Google does look for this Sitemap when indexing your website
- Your website HAS to be optimised for mobile â€“ with over 60% of online searches completed on mobile devices, this is no longer a â€œnice to haveâ€ but a must for any business looking to get ahead online. Google provides preference to websites that are mobile optimised.
- Consider using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for secure HTTPS connections. SSL certificates are issued by Certificate Authorities who can verify your identity. Once you pass their verification checks, you gain access to a â€œtrust markâ€ to use on your site letting online users, search engines and browsers know that your business has been verified by a third party and is a legitimate entity. Furthermore, the SSL certificate ensures all data exchange is encrypted and secure.
- Social Integration with Social Media Networks has a positive spin off for your online presence and search engine ranking making you more accessible across multiple platforms.
A qualified web developer would know to include meta tags when coding your website.
What Are Tags? Tags are snippets of text that describe a pageâ€™s content; the tags donâ€™t appear on the page itself, but only in the pageâ€™s code. Tags are little content descriptors that provide search engines with information about your website or webpage.
Below are examples of the different types of tags and the information they provide.
- Title Tags provide information about your page topics
- Meta description tags describe what your pages are about
- Header tags, with relevant keywords, let search engines know where to find relevant information on your site and provide links to this information to people searching
The benefits of using a qualified web developer to build and manage your online presence are clear to be seen, especially if you want your website to be properly indexed and seen from day one. Search Engine Optimisation is an artform and needs to be carefully managed due to the competitive nature of the digital space.
Your online presence should be fluid to ensure you stay ahead of the game and ahead of your competition, especially in Search Rankings. By ensuring your website is properly built, by a professional developer, you will be sure to reap the rewards.